Monday, July 9, 2007

TV or Not TV?

We made a huge step this past week: giving up essentially all TV. My husband threw down the gauntlet when we got into a tiff errrr DISCUSSION about too much time on the computer vs too much time watching TV. He made the silly claim that I was hooked. hahahaha I CAN QUIT ANY TIME sez I. He laughs. So, I did: Cold Turkey. I usually watch the 5 pm news, then the 10 pm news and a couple of programs in between. (Okay maybe, just maybe, 3 hours a night was excessive) So bye-bye news. Bye-Bye cable. Bye-Bye DVR (which records all my myriad programs) It's been about a week: Miss it? Kinda. However it is strangely thrilling. Now I may pick up my Desperate Housewives in the fall again. And this doesn't preclude renting movies. I love movies, and that I won't give up. But the day to day stuff: Kinda cool letting go. I am going to read more books. (I actually read one a day as it is, but now it might turn into 2 a day!) I like the quiet. Get out the Scrabble board Mavis! Fortunately, I have never watched daytime TV, so that was easy giving up, but I guess that's a little like saying I don't use crack during the day, only the night time so it's okay. Oh well. I may fall into the "I no longer know what you're talking about in pop culture w/o my TV shows...." category, but at least I feel in control. Sorta. Kinda. I'll let you know how it goes. (This could be a good time to get that "Knitting for Dummies" book...)

3 comments:

Devonshire said...

You should totally take up knitting mom is awesome! Also we haven't had TV for over a year and it is amazing. I do like you still have my movies and shows on DVD, but no day to day TV and it is thrilling. Does that mean less computer time for the boys?

Devonshire said...

Also you like tea right, you should sign up for this swap I am co-hosting....

http://knit1tea2.blogspot.com/

vegasangelbrat said...

Hi Devon's Mom :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog..so glad to have you joining in with us for the Tea Swap too! Should be lots of fun! (and informational for me) I am also co-hosting that swap! C-ya there...